PART 1 - GENERAL
1.01 RELATED DOCUMENTS
A. Drawings and general provisions of Contract including General and Supplementary Conditions.
A. This section describes the requirements for providing the column cover system as indicated on the drawings and specified, to include:
1. Wood Veneer Finish Metal Column Covers
2. Column Cover attachment brackets and bases as specified.
3. Accessories; provide all other necessary items including devices for attachments to structural members, splines, splices, connecting clips, connectors, trims and all other devices required for a complete installation.
4. Coordinate items penetrating or being integrated into other systems with responsible trades.
5. Walnut finish per architects sample.
1.03 Quality Assurance
A. Reference Standards:
1. Local Building Code, current edition requirements.
A. Comply with the requirements of Division 1, Section 01300, Submittals.
B. Product Data: Submit manufacturer's product descriptions and specifications for column cover system.
C. Samples: Submit full size of column cover panel minimum of 12" long showing straight edge detail with an attached suspension system and perimeter trim member in the specified finish.
D. Shop Drawings:
1. Provide properly dimensioned shop drawings showing column layout. Show all locations, markings, quantities, materials, sizes and shapes and indicate all methods of connecting, anchoring, fastening, bracing and attaching to work of other trades. Shop drawing submittals to be on computer aided design systems and furnished on computer disks. System shall be compatible with that of the architect.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
A. Project design is based on materials and systems of Ceilings Plus, Los Angeles, CA 800-822-3411, www.ceilingsplus.com.
Other manufacturers must be approved prior to the bid in written form, by the architect. Specified manufacturer's standard of quality and manufacturing tolerances shall be criteria for evaluating "equivalent" product.
2.02 METAL COLUMN COVERS
A. System "Columnar/Arboreal", Wood finish metal enclosure used to conceal structural columns. Attachment hardware to be provided.
B. Aluminum adequate thickness, minimum .063" to .125". Material shall be free from surface blemishes in finished unit. Finish of wood (Walnut), to match stair coverings, per the architect's selection.
C. Horizontal seams allowed only where indicated on plans.
D. Positive alignment lips to be provided to maintain tight hairline joints.
E. Anchors and inserts: furnish anchoring devices as required for installation of column covers.
F. Factory fabricate and finish all components to the satisfaction of the owner and architect. The installation system shall allow for removable components without the use of exposed fasteners, hardware or supports. All brackets and hardware shall be illustrated on shop drawings. Provide for ceiling reveal and cove base as shown on plans.
G. Joint reveals and alignments shall not exceed plus or minus 1/64".
H. Column shapes shall be brake formed for uniformity and squareness.
I. The Column enclosures are to be brake formed from a single sheet to project requirements with a minimum 1-1/2" return edge. Objectionable deflection will not be tolerated. No indentations, "oil canning" marks or defacing of the exposed surface of the column enclosure will be allowed. Surface shall be identical to adjacent stairs panels. Laminate veneer wood as required to face and edges.
PART 3 - EXECUTION
A. General Installation:
1. Materials shall be installed in strict accordance with procedures recommended by the manufacturer and requirements of agencies having jurisdiction. All materials for this section shall be from a single source manufacturer with minimum 5 years experience with products of the nature specified. Provide 5-year warrantee agreeing to replace, or, repair components which fail.
2. Install work in strict accordance with manufacturer's recommendations and approved shop drawings.
3. Install work consistent with specified quality grade plumb, level, true and straight with no distortions. Shim as required, using concealed slate, or other non-organic shims.
4. The method of attachment shall be by concealed brackets and other hardware to be furnished by the column covers manufacturer. The installation shall be in strict accordance with shop drawings and engineering instructions to be furnished by Ceilings Plus.
5. The contractor responsible for the work of this section shall be qualified and experienced in the performance of this work and done so for no less than a period of 5 years.
B. Product Handling
1. Delivery: Deliver column components to job site in unopened containers identified with product manufacturer's name, trade name and other applicable identification.
2. Storage: Store all materials in dry and protected locations until installation.
3. Remove protective film material from columns only when space is completely clean and dust free of airborne particles. Cotton white gloves shall be used for final installation.
4. Remove and replace units that have been damaged or cannot be satisfactorily cleaned to the owner's or architect's acceptance, at no additional cost to the owner. To clean materials follow manufacturer's written cleaning procedures.
1. Maintenance instructions, as written by the manufacturer, are to be left with the building owner.